Monday, April 13, 2015

Filled Under:

10 things I love about being a parent




Parenting bloggers bitch a lot. I know I do, at least. I think that bitching is really an essential part of being a parent. But here, in this post, I’m going to list a few things I really love about being a parent.

1.     I love when I am leaving for work, and my five-year-old daughter runs to the end of the driveway to give me one last hug.

2.     I love when I look in my lunch bag and find a folded up note that reads “To Dad. From Tristan.” It isn’t a message, but rather a colorful picture of a monster.

3.     I love when I call home to ask my wife a question, and my son picks up and insist on telling me about some exciting thing at school, a good grade, or some kudos from his teacher, in a squeaky voice, before he will let me chat with his mother.

4.     I love when I walk in from work and my 8-month-old Aspen looks up at me with a big, two teeth gummy smile and starts to bounce up and down and raise her hands for me to hold her.

5.     I love when I get photos on my phone from my wife of the cute things my kids did: falling asleep on the floor, blowing bubbles, dancing in the living room, that sort of thing.

6.     I love reading to my five-year-old each night, both of us lounging in her bed, her snuggling up into my chest, me with one arm around her, and the other holding some princess book. My heart warms every time.

7.     I love tucking in my son each night, giving him a hug, and then listening to him tell me one or two more really cool things that happened to him during the day: learning to tell time with a “real clock” or getting to the end of the Homework Machine and how cool it would be to have something like that in real life.

8.     I love when I am sitting on the sofa, and my baby daughter pulls her self up by holding onto my knees, and then stands and looks at me like she is so big, like she is on top of the world, and once we make eye contact, she squeals with delight, and even though she can’t talk, I know that this is her way of sharing her accomplishment.

9.     I love when we are all sitting at the table as a family and some strange topic is brought up: did dinosaurs have nipples, or do spiders defy gravity, or some other thing circulating the playground, and together, we all crowd around a computer and find the answer. We talk about the truth versus fact, and laugh.

10. I love when my 5-year-old daughter gets really mad at me because I told her she couldn’t do this or that, and after she’s taken a moment to calm down in her room, and she is ready to talk, I sit down next to her and explain why this or that rules need to be in place, and she looks up at me with big blue eyes, and say, “Ok. I love you daddy.”


What are some of the things you love about being a parent? 

Follow on Facebook and Twitter.

Clint Edwards was blessed with a charming and spitfire wife, a video game obsessed little boy, a snarky little girl in a Cinderella play dress, and an angry baby girl. When Clint was 9-years-old his father left. With no example of fatherhood, he had to learn how to be a father and husband through trial and error. His work has been featured in Good Morning America, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, Scary Mommy, The Good Men Project, Fast Company, and elsewhere. He lives in Oregon. Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.  

 

1 comments:

Carla S said...

This made me cry! I love it! We only have one so far, and he's only 15 months, but I hope my husband can make lists like this as our kids grow, too!! Thank you!